The History of Hardy Doric, Inc.
Frank Hildreth Hardy opened the doors to a vault company in 1930. Backed by his brother-in-law Frank Dutton, they purchased land and a building on Weed Street in Lowell and Lowell Vault Co. was established.
The 1940’s saw the company prosper. Name and affiliations changed. Sole ownership was now Frank Hardy and Lowell Vault Company became The Norwalk Vault Company, and eventually, Hardy Norwalk Vault.
The 1950’s produced much of the same success. Towards the late 1950’s, after graduating from Northeastern University (BS, BA), Frank’s youngest son Gerald joined him in the business.
The 1960’s …Frank and Gerald’s partnership and growing business brought the realization that expansion was in their future. They added a block building to the standing structure on Weed Street. However, in November of 1960, Frank suffered a debilitating stroke. Needing to learn more about the funeral industry, Jerry joined the National Concrete Burial Vault Association (N.C.B.V.A.) in 1963. Hardy Norwalk Vault Company expanded its service to the Greater Merrimack Valley and Southern New Hampshire.
The 1970’s brought with it material and technological advances, changing the construction of concrete burial vaults both in the materials used and the forms molding them. The decision to affiliate with “Doric Vault Association” in 1978 drastically changed the direction of Hardy Vault Company.
The 1980’s introduced new “blood” into the company. Robert joined his father full time in 1981 after graduating from Nashoba Valley Technical High School. Shortly after, Hardy Vault Company became—Hardy Doric, Inc. Jeffrey joined the firm directly following graduation from Daniel Webster College (BS, BA) in 1986.
The 1990’s Hardy Doric Inc., continued to grow as did the advances in production. The Hardy boys decided that they needed to find a larger facility. After 6 decades on Weed Street in Lowell, the property was sold in 1994 and 22 Progress Avenue in Chelmsford became its new location.
The 2000’s…The need for more manufacturing space resulted in the construction of an additional building adjoining the original structure, more than doubling the capacity of the pouring room. In 2005, Hardy Doric, Inc. invested in a Wiggert & Co Automatic Batching System through Advanced Concrete Technologies, Inc. This investment allowed us to increase production more efficiently and increase inventory.
Today, Rob and Jeff are continuing to lead the company into the future not only in the burial vault business but also in other markets becoming the Northeast representatives for Trigard Bronze and KMI Columbaria Inc.
Officers of National Concrete Burial Vault Association
President - Executive Director
Connecticut Cemetary Association
Cremation Association of North America
International Cemtery Cremation and Funeral Association
Maine Cemetary Association
Massachusetts Cemetary Association
Massachusetts Funeral Directors Association
National Concrete and Burial Vault Association
New England Cemetary Association
New Hampshire Funeral Directors Association
New York Cemetary Association